Levator scapula myalgi.
The levator scapula is the muscle that has a pain pattern that runs on the inside and top of the shoulder blade, where the neck and shoulder blade meet. This can occur if it becomes overactive and dysfunctional. A so-called levator scapula myalgia. Regular self-massage, stretching and any treatment by a musculoskeletal expert (chiropractor, physiotherapist, manual therapist) are all examples of measures that can help you get rid of myalgia.
Follow Vondt.net on YOUTUBE
(Follow and comment if you want us to make a video with specific exercises or elaborations for exactly YOUR issues)
Follow Vondt.net on FACEBOOK
(We try to respond to all messages and questions within 24-48 hours. We can also help you interpret MRI responses and the like.)
Foam rolls are in the wind like never before - hence their incredible price growth in the sports shops. Now a foam roller can cost up 500 kroner in certain stores, which is pretty ridiculous considering what you are actually paying for. A foam roller. We have received good feedback on the following foam roll which costs a fraction of the price (at the time of writing it only costs approx. 90 Norwegian kroner as of 28.04.2015 - a real bargain in other words):
- Read more about the foam roller here: BLUE High Density Foam Roller (link opens in new window)
Here you can see an illustration made by Gray's which shows the muscle attachment to the levator scapula, from the back of the neck / head down to the shoulder blade:
The Levator scapula attaches to the top four neck vertebrae, as well as the shoulder blade.
Here you can see an illustration that shows the pain pattern (referenced pain from muscle knot) for levator scapula:
Levator scapula can also cause neck pain and neck stiffness - as well as a burning sensation on the top and inside of the shoulder blade.
VIDEO: MR Shoulder (Normal MRI Survey)
«R: Nothing pathologically proven. No findings. "
Explanation: This is a composition of MRI examination images from a normal shoulder without MRI findings. The shoulder was sore, but there were no injuries visible in the pictures - it turned out later that the pain came from joint restrictions in the neck and thoracic spine, as well as active muscle knots / myalgias in the rotator cuff muscles, upper trapz, rhomboidus and levator scapula.
The solution was stabilizing rotator cuff training, chiropractic joint correction, muscle therapy and specific home exercises. Thank you for sharing such photos with us. The photos are anonymized.
Exercise and exercise are good for body and soul:
- Chin-up / pull-up exercise bar can be an excellent exercise tool to have at home. It can be attached and detached from the door frame without the use of a drill or tool.
- Cross-trainer / ellipse machine: Excellent fitness training. Good for promoting movement in the body and exercising overall.
- Kettlebells is a very effective form of training that produces fast and good results.
- Rowing Machines is one of the best forms of training you can use to get good overall strength.
- Spinning ergometer bike: Good to have at home, so you can increase the amount of exercise throughout the year and get better fitness.
- Pain in the neck (Learn more about the causes of neck pain and what you can do to get rid of them)
- Pain in the muscles (Why does it really hurt your muscles? Learn more here.)